TBS's My Boys defies social stereotypes to make for a really great show

My Boys on TBS returned tonight and reminded me of how good a TV show can be. Don't get me wrong, I like The Office as much as anybody and am more than a little obsessed with Law and Order (except Criminal Intent, but that's more weird character actor hour than Law and Order anyway), but seeing My Boys proved that sometimes less is more. The show is anything but flashy, centering around PJ, a tomboy sports writer, and her close group of boy buddies and super feminine best friend living a very average existence in Chicago. The characters are all very relatable and real, dealing with the usual relationship pitfalls as well as recession-induced job drama, the debate about giving up city life for your family in the suburbs, and the way your friends can become your family. The writing is solid, more charming and witty than absurdly funny, and it has finally reeled in some of the sports metaphors overused in the first season so that the narration is more natural and observational rather than forced. And as endearing and even cute as this half hour cable gem is, My Boys never crosses over into the over-indulgent, fashion show with half a plot chick flick for the small screen. The show may focus on the only girl in the group, but this is one of few shows that allows for men and women to really be friends and actually works. My Boys balances girl talk with mustachio competitions (yes, that happened, and yes, it was awesome) and throws in a little baseball talk on the side, making for a really good night of television.

My Boys. TBS 10:30 on Tuesday. Check it out.

Post written by Rachel Silver.

0 comments: